Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from September, 2014

Vintage teacup pincushion

Do you find you can never  have enough pincushions?!?


So when I saw this tutorial on how to make a tea cup pincushion on the blog at Sew Over It, I thought I had to make one of my own.



I popped into a local charity shop at lunchtime, and picked up this sweet vintage teacup for £2.  I chose a white fabric from my stash as anything patterned looked a bit busy.



I followed the instructions on Sew Over It's blog, and it was a super speedy make!

I think I might be making a few more, they would make great gifts for stitchy friends or vintage lovers.


I'm also trying to improve my photography as I don't think the pictures that I take do my sewing enough justice!  I took these shots in natural daylight and tried out lots of angles. I also used picmonkey to crop the images. The background fabric is something that I have in my stash, waiting to be turned into something! Would love to hear any good photography tips! 






New look 6356

So this is my latest make.



I decided to tackle something "easy" and decided on this sleeveless top from New Look.



It looked easy enough with simple dart shaping at the bust and a faced neck and faced armholes.  I chose version A with the high neck and no sleeves.


The pattern claims to be "easy" and take 2 hours sewing time.  I'm not sure where they got that figure from but it certainly took me much longer than that particularly as I had a major fit issue!
I used a grey check fabric that I ordered from myfabrics.co.uk in the summer. I ordered it online, and although it appears to be a UK site, the fabric came from Germany.  The delivery took a bit longer than I expected but the fabric very reasonably priced. The fabric is this cotton vichy. I used less than a metre to make this top.

Things I'm pleased about this top:
Fabric: I like this cotton vichy and would use it again. It's very reasonably priced and would make a cute fifties style shirt.



Pattern mat…

A bit of knitting - Sirdar 9410 cardigan

My cardigan is finally finished. It's been a long time in the making but I am so pleased with the end result!



I used Sirdar pattern 9410 that I wrote about here and the double knitting yarn specified in the pattern.


It's knitted in a lovely shade called Spruce which sadly now has been discontinued but you can still buy it online for example at Minerva Crafts.
The cardigan in the main is knitted in double moss stitch, which is also sometimes known as double seed stitch. It makes a lovely stretchy fabric and is produced by working two rows of knit two, purl two, followed two rows of purl two, knit two. 
I found a good set of instructions how to knit double moss stitch here at www.simple-knitting.com
The front panels have a cable and bobble pattern, that I think is called a nosegay (I could be wrong!).



I knitted the sleeves before finishing the fronts as I normally flag when it comes to making the sleeves (is there a name for this - sleeve syndrome maybe!)
The front and back we…

A stitching update

So the cable and bobble cardigan is all sewn up. I am really pleased with how it has turned out. As it's knitted in a double moss stitch pattern, it's lovely and stretchy and a good fit.  The end are sewn in. It's currently being blocked, something that I don't always do but think it's worth it after all that hard work.  Just the button to add and then I can post a picture.
I purchased a pair of sock blockers also. I chose these ones from Knitpro. I did fancy some wooden ones but they were a bit too expensive.


Once the second sock is all knitted up, will have to give them ago.
Have also started a sewing this simple top. Thought I would sew something easy to try and get my sewing mojo back!

Back to blogging!

Well summer is over and I thought it was about time I got blogging again! Not sure where July and August went.  Unfortunately, I didn't get much chance to do any sewing, hence the fact I haven't updated the blog. I hardly had time to make any of the patterns I posted about here.

I may have had a busy summer but I did get a couple of weeks off work and spent a lovely week in Norfolk at the seaside.




I also visited two lovely knitting shops while I was there: Wool and Crafts in Cromer and Creative Crafts in Sheringham.

I spent much of the last week of summer sorting out my daughter for secondary school. Off she went on Tuesday, all grown up now!

So now September is here, I thought I had better get on with finishing with some of the sewing and stitching that I've started.

This is what I've got unfinished:

Pink polka dot Tilly and the Button's Mimi blouse from Love at First Stitch.


Got as far as setting in one sleeve. I think this will be lovely but the material I am us…