Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from May, 2014

New Look 6212 - Progress so far!

The shirt is coming along nicely - so far it's been easier than I expected.   I had already cut the pieces out and overlocked the  seam edges that would be exposed. I don't have an overlocker (it is on my want list) but I used my mum's so that I wouldn't have to worry about finishing the seams.  I transferred the pattern marking using tailor tacks also.  I need to investigate using dressmaker's carbon paper to see how I like this method.

So this is what I have done so far:


I had a tricky moment when it came to following the instructions to make the yoke but it all came good in the end! It involved sandwiching the back between the yoke and the yoke facing, stitching a seam through all the thicknesses, machine basting the shoulders and then rolling the top up and pinning then stitching the shoulder edges together and finally pulling the rolled top out through the armhole. Sounds confusing eh! I should have taken pictures to explain it but I was too busy trying to mak…

Skull and crossbones New Look 6212

So the next thing I have on the go is a shirt for my daughter. She has a couple of similar shirts that she has bought so I thought that I would have a go at making my own.  I think it might be a trifle ambitious as I've never made a blouse or shirt before!  I am going to make the sleeveless version (View B) without the pockets on the front.


She chose this skull and cross bones material from Minerva Crafts online.  Funky isn't it!

Pieces all cut out - construction starts tonight!

Love at First Stitch

Just got my copy of this amazing book by Tilly Walnes of Tilly and the Buttons fame! I can't wait to get stitching on some of these. I think my first make will be the lovely Delphine skirt - I've been too scared to to tackle a zip but I think with the help of this book I should be able to manage it. I've got some lovely denim fabric that I bought in John Lewis with the intention of making a skirt, so watch this space!


You can see all the gorgeous patterns available in this book here.



My lovely finished polka dot top

The top is finished so as promised here are some pictures. I used Simplicity 1693 to make this top. I liked this pattern and it is fairly easy to follow. Now I need to find out more about joining the ends of  bias binding together at the armholes as the instructions said fold under but to me that looks pretty lumpy. I also made a self covered button which I'm getting better at and a hand-sewn button loop which I found really difficult to do! My mum showed me how to do this and hers look perfect.

I've got a new top to wear to work tomorrow hurrah!







Simplicity 1693

So I am currently making this top by Simplicity. I am making the Peter Pan collar view D but have decided to make it sleeveless. This is the first time I have made anything with darts or a collar. The collar was a little tricky but in general finding the pattern easy to follow and I like the fact that I could make all the options! I am making my top in some cream cotton polka dot material.

Will post a picture when finished!