Skip to main content


Showing posts from May, 2015

My summer stitching plans

So I have a few things lined up to sew for summer. My aim is to use some of my existing stash of materials and patterns that I have accumulated.

First up is New Look 6262, which I made previously here.

This time I am making view D, with the boat neck and without sleeves.  My muslin of the bodice is complete and I have now cut out my pieces, just need to get sewing!

I'm using this gorgeous cotton that I got from a local market. Perfect for summer!

Next up, I'm planning on making a summer skirt using New Look 6873. I've had this pattern in my stash since last summer, and I'd originally planned to make the trousers. I'm planning on making view C.

I'm going to use this material that I bought at the Knitting and Stitching show in March.  I think it will make a sweet summery skirt. 

I also plan to make another dress, this time Butterick B4443. Again I like the boat neck version.

This is a different style for me to make as it has princess seams and this is something I…

The Washi Dress

What a lovely sunny day and as promised, here is my latest make, the Washi dress by Made by Rae.

I coerced my daughter into taking the photos. As you can see,my cat was keen to get into the photos.

I made this using some cotton that I bought at the Knitting and Stitching Show at Olympia, that I posted about here. The fabric came from Simply Fabrics and was very reasonably priced, about £5 a metre if I remember rightly.

The Washi dress is a simple make, and perfect for beginner dressmakers.

I fell in love with it after seeing it on pinterest. It features a cut-out scoop neckline, although I decided to omit this as I felt it might be a bit low cut for everyday life.  It features a pleated front and a shirred back. It also has built in pockets.  It can be made with or without sleeves and also can be adapted as a tunic or maxi dress. It's a fairly expensive pattern to download at $16 dollars (roughly £10) but I figured this would be a dress that I could make again and again.

 There is…

Exciting news...My New Look 6022 dress is featured on the Minerva crafts blog!

Well I got a lovely surprise pop up on Twitter today. A few months earlier, I'd posted about my second version of New Look 6022 and Minerva crafts contacted me to ask if they could feature it in a future blog post..

I first wrote about New Look 6022 here ...

and then here.

Anyway I had more or less forgotten about this when I saw this tweet.

Pop by the Minerva crafts blog and have a look!

On other sewing news, I have a new dress that I have just finished, the Washi dress by Made by Rae which hopefully I will get to blog about this weekend if I can get some photos taken!

I'm probably the last person in the world to have made this dress. Although it was a simple make, I learnt some news skills along the way - full bust adjustment, lowering bust darts, shirring... plenty to write about.

I've also cut out another New Look 6262 which I first made here.

This time to be made in a gorgeous strawberry print, perfect for summer.  I will be making view B with or without the sleeves, …