Skip to main content

My lovely finished polka dot top

The top is finished so as promised here are some pictures. I used Simplicity 1693 to make this top. I liked this pattern and it is fairly easy to follow. Now I need to find out more about joining the ends of  bias binding together at the armholes as the instructions said fold under but to me that looks pretty lumpy. I also made a self covered button which I'm getting better at and a hand-sewn button loop which I found really difficult to do! My mum showed me how to do this and hers look perfect.

I've got a new top to wear to work tomorrow hurrah!

Simplicity 1693 - Peter Pan collar
Simplicity 1693 - Peter Pan collar



Simplicity 1693 - Front view
Simplicity 1693 - Front view

Simplicity 1693 - Back view
Simplicity 1693 - Back view

Simplicity 1693 - Back view of Peter Pan collar
Simplicity 1693 - Back view of Peter Pan collar

Simplicity 1693 - Close up of button loop
Simplicity 1693 - Close up of button loop

Comments

  1. This looks perfect! I've just started sewing and tried to make this pattern in view C, but it turned out way too big! Did you have any problems with sizing? Do you normally find that simplicity patterns come out to big? Let me know what you think!

    Jenny

    www.jennyhelenmyspoonielife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny! Thank you so much, I do like this top a lot. I made the size 12 when going by my measurements, I should have made a 14. I've heard that a lot of simplicity patterns have a lot of ease, and looking at the measurements on this one the pattern includes 3 and a 1/2 inches of ease which seems a lot. That said it's the only Simplicity pattern I've made so far! I do find this sizing issue very perplexing! At the moment, I tend to buy cheap fabric so if it goes wrong its not a disaster. I suppose too big is better than too small as you can always take it in at the seams etc. I think then if the pattern goes well and you like it and the fit is good, then you could justify splashing out on something a bit more special. Will check your blog out later. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine, that was very helpful! I also think that my fabric choice may have had something to do with it, I will try again with another cheaper fabric! :) xx

      Delete
    2. That's ok, good luck with the top. Let me know how you get on! I

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd really love to hear from you. If you liked this blog post, please leave me a little comment!

Popular posts from this blog

New Look 6483.... in less than a week

My last post was a round up of my favourite simple sewing patterns in my stash. I've finished my first make, New Look 6483! And it look me less than a week! I spent a bit of time adjusting the pattern last weekend, and then it probably took two evenings of sewing plus a little bit of of  extra time hand sewing. Not bad for me!


The pattern came free with Sew Magazine this month. It comes with 5 different options. I chose view E with the wider neckline as I felt this was the most flattering.  The suggested fabrics are ginghams, laundered cottons (which is just cotton that has been washed to remove the stiffness caused by the sizing), silks, silk types, rayons etc. So fabric with a bit of drape is required.


The top does not have a zip and is fasten with a simple thread loop and button.  There is an all in one facing for the neck and armholes. The pattern is rated "easy" and claims to take one hour to sew! (not including cutting out time etc).


However, my major rookie mistak…

The Washi Dress

What a lovely sunny day and as promised, here is my latest make, the Washi dress by Made by Rae.

I coerced my daughter into taking the photos. As you can see,my cat was keen to get into the photos.


I made this using some cotton that I bought at the Knitting and Stitching Show at Olympia, that I posted about here. The fabric came from Simply Fabrics and was very reasonably priced, about £5 a metre if I remember rightly.


The Washi dress is a simple make, and perfect for beginner dressmakers.

I fell in love with it after seeing it on pinterest. It features a cut-out scoop neckline, although I decided to omit this as I felt it might be a bit low cut for everyday life.  It features a pleated front and a shirred back. It also has built in pockets.  It can be made with or without sleeves and also can be adapted as a tunic or maxi dress. It's a fairly expensive pattern to download at $16 dollars (roughly £10) but I figured this would be a dress that I could make again and again.

 There is…

The Ultimate Shift Dress

So the first of my Autumn-Winter Stitching plans is now complete!


This is the Ultimate Shift Dress by independent sewing pattern company Sew Over It.  The fabric was something I picked up at the Knitting and Stitching Show.


This is a very easy dress to complete. In fact I think it is the fastest thing I have ever sewn. I traced the pattern pieces one evening and then cut and sewed most of the dress the next evening.



This is a good pattern for a relative beginner like me and the instructions are quite clear. I think it's not suitable for a total beginner as it assumes a bit of knowledge such as how to sew bust darts and the sleeves are eased in which is quite tricky.However, the pattern booklet includes a glossary which is helpful as it explains some of the terms that other patterns assume you know and understand.
The pattern comes in size 8-20.  Looking at my measurements, I was between the 12 and the 14 sizes. This pattern is designed for a very close fit and includes less ease t…