Tuesday 17 June 2014

A patchwork pincushion!

Over the last couple of nights, I've been making a patchwork pincushion. I made these as a child and thought it was time I had another go at making one as I was in serious need of a pincushion!


The pincushion is made using the paper piecing method.

How to make a pincushion:

Draw or print a template for one inch hexagons and cut the paper hexagons out.
Pin the templates to the wrong side of your chosen scraps of material. 
Then cut the hexagons out from scraps of  material about one centimetre larger than the templates.  
Fold the edges down over the paper templates and tack the edges down around the hexagons
Join the hexagons together piece by piece by over-sewing the edges, right sides facing. 
Once both pieces of the pincushion are completed, sew the two pieces together again with  right sides facing, leaving open three edges.
Remove the tacking and the paper pieces. 
Turn right side out, pushing out the corners and then stuff firmly. 
Finally over-sew the remaining edges together.



I think I might have to investigate some other pincushion ideas. Do you have any good suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really love to hear from you. If you liked this blog post, please leave me a little comment!

Popular Posts