Monday 20 February 2017

The Faerly shawl

Today I have a finished bit of knitting to share with you - the Faerly Shawl.


I purchased this pattern at the Knitting and Stitching show back in October last year.  It's designed by a company called Tallyarns who I'd not heard of before.


 It's a simple shawl so suitable for a beginner to make as the lace pattern is very straight forward.


The pattern calls for only a 100g of 4ply yarn and is knitted up on 6mm needles so grows really quickly. The shawl is knitted from the top down and the starting point is the mid point at the back of the neck. As you knit, the shawl grows in width.


The yarn I used for this project was Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift, which is a lovely 100 percent pure Shetland wool, that comes in a huge range of colours. The shade I used was 1390, Highland Mist.


I knit the shawl as per the pattern, but mine seems to have come out smaller than the intended size. The finished size stated is 140-160 cm across the top and 60-75 cm down the centre back depending on the yarn used.  Mine seems to measure approximately 110 cm by 55 cm so I am not sure what happened there as I am sure I followed the pattern correctly.


I suppose it depends on the yarn that you use and your tension. If I make this pattern again, I will just do an extra repeat if it doesn't look like it is wide enough yet.


I must have knit mine at a much tighter tension,hence why it is smaller than the finished measurements.


You can buy the pattern from Tallyarns here and I also noticed that they have a lovely kit in a 4ply Noro silk yarn. I think this pattern does suit a variegated yarn so I might be trying something similar with this pattern next....


I have not blocked the shawl yet but think it could benefit from this.

This was the first shawl I've made and think that I will be making more. I liked this pattern as it is very simple, so not too much concentrating required and it can be knit up relatively quickly!

Do you have any other simple shawl patterns that you can recommend?

Catherine x

7 comments:

  1. Catherine, such a pretty shawl. The colour of the yarn is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I recommend this pattern if you are looking for an easy knit!

      Delete
    2. Beautiful shawl!! I love the color chosen as well. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous shawl, I bet it's lovely to wear, I can't knit (I did try but I was useless) I can crochet though but knitting patterns are so lovely that I should try again some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There are some lovely crochet patterns out there too.

      Delete
  3. This looks lovely- gorgeous yarn and colour. The reason it has come out smaller is probably because shawl dimensions are usually given based on post blocking - blocking does wonders for shawls, it really accentuates the lace and increases the size and improves the drape. Traveling Woman on ravelry is another good beginner shawl and has been very popular.
    Ros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ros, I shall check that one out. Thanks for the tip, I shall try blocking my next one.

      Delete

I'd really love to hear from you. If you liked this blog post, please leave me a little comment!

Popular Posts