Skip to main content

Top Five Sewing Misses 2015



2015 had a few misses. However I learnt some valuable sewing lessons along the way. 

Simplicity 6655


First up, my first attempt at sewing a vintage pattern.  I chose this cute pattern, and was so excited about making this. Unfortunately I made a mistake with the sizing as it turned out huge on me, and even though I attempt to fix it, it ended up in the bin and never made it to the blog. Lesson learnt here, make muslin before cutting into precious fabric. 

Sorbetto 



This is a free pattern from Colette patterns.  I was pleased with the sewing I did on this top, but it just didn't fit that well as the armholes gaped and it was too loose around the back. I realised that I should have used my high bust measurement and adjusted the pattern accordingly by doing a full bust adjustment.  Sadly this top has never been worn. Lesson learnt, check if I need to do a full bust adjustment, see my Washi dress.

Bettine 

Bettine - Tilly and the Buttons

I fell in love with this pattern from Tilly and the Buttons after seeing numerous cute versions all over the blogosphere.  I even chose a chambray similar to the version modeled on the pattern cover. Unfortunately the skirt's extreme tulip shape looked awful on me, and again the dress never made it to the blog. This one ended up going to the charity shop.  Lesson learnt  - just because you see loads of cute versions of a dress doesn't mean that it will suit you! 

Lilou dress


I so wanted to love this dress.  This is the most complicated make from Tilly's book, Love at First Stitch.  I learnt how to line a bodice when making this dress.  Unfortunately I did not have enough fabric to make the pleated version, so decided to make the gathered skirt version by drafting my own dirndl skirt from a rectangle of fabric.  I did make a muslin of the bodice, but somehow the bodice seemed a bit too lose fitting on the finished version and I hated the skirt.  Sadly I never wore this dress and this has also gone to the charity shop. Lesson learnt, don't cut corners! If I had used this material for a skirt as originally planned, I might have liked it a lot more. 

Laurel dress



Another dress that didn't make it to my blog.  The fabric I chose was a lovely plaid. Sadly my pattern matching skills weren't up to it and the dress is still not finished.  However, I might try to finish it off as the fit is good.  Lesson learnt - stick to fabrics that don't need pattern matching!

If you like reading about my top five misses, check out the other posts in this blog series over at  Crafting a Rainbow.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Look 6483.... in less than a week

My last post was a round up of my favourite simple sewing patterns in my stash. I've finished my first make, New Look 6483! And it look me less than a week! I spent a bit of time adjusting the pattern last weekend, and then it probably took two evenings of sewing plus a little bit of of  extra time hand sewing. Not bad for me!


The pattern came free with Sew Magazine this month. It comes with 5 different options. I chose view E with the wider neckline as I felt this was the most flattering.  The suggested fabrics are ginghams, laundered cottons (which is just cotton that has been washed to remove the stiffness caused by the sizing), silks, silk types, rayons etc. So fabric with a bit of drape is required.


The top does not have a zip and is fasten with a simple thread loop and button.  There is an all in one facing for the neck and armholes. The pattern is rated "easy" and claims to take one hour to sew! (not including cutting out time etc).


However, my major rookie mistak…

The Washi Dress

What a lovely sunny day and as promised, here is my latest make, the Washi dress by Made by Rae.

I coerced my daughter into taking the photos. As you can see,my cat was keen to get into the photos.


I made this using some cotton that I bought at the Knitting and Stitching Show at Olympia, that I posted about here. The fabric came from Simply Fabrics and was very reasonably priced, about £5 a metre if I remember rightly.


The Washi dress is a simple make, and perfect for beginner dressmakers.

I fell in love with it after seeing it on pinterest. It features a cut-out scoop neckline, although I decided to omit this as I felt it might be a bit low cut for everyday life.  It features a pleated front and a shirred back. It also has built in pockets.  It can be made with or without sleeves and also can be adapted as a tunic or maxi dress. It's a fairly expensive pattern to download at $16 dollars (roughly £10) but I figured this would be a dress that I could make again and again.

 There is…

The Ultimate Shift Dress

So the first of my Autumn-Winter Stitching plans is now complete!


This is the Ultimate Shift Dress by independent sewing pattern company Sew Over It.  The fabric was something I picked up at the Knitting and Stitching Show.


This is a very easy dress to complete. In fact I think it is the fastest thing I have ever sewn. I traced the pattern pieces one evening and then cut and sewed most of the dress the next evening.



This is a good pattern for a relative beginner like me and the instructions are quite clear. I think it's not suitable for a total beginner as it assumes a bit of knowledge such as how to sew bust darts and the sleeves are eased in which is quite tricky.However, the pattern booklet includes a glossary which is helpful as it explains some of the terms that other patterns assume you know and understand.
The pattern comes in size 8-20.  Looking at my measurements, I was between the 12 and the 14 sizes. This pattern is designed for a very close fit and includes less ease t…