Skip to main content

New Look 6022, again!

This is my second version of this dress.

New Look 6022

I wrote about my first version here.  This was the first dress I ever made, and I didn't get the fit quite right so thought I would try it again.  This time I made a straight size 14 and its a much better fit!

This time, I chose view B with the cap sleeves as I wasn't very keen on the sleeves in my first version. I also decided to make the fabric belt from view C as without it I was worried it might look a little sack-like, especially from behind.

The dress has a self bound neckline and  neck pleats to give it some shaping. The armholes are neatly bound with bias binding tape. The cap sleeves are pleated, and a really flattering shape.

New Look 6022

New Look 6022

The material is a black cotton poplin purchased from Minerva crafts sometime ago. It's nice to sew with and is a medium weight woven fabric.  It's still available to purchase. 

I'm getting better at taking the cheesy self photographs. I am hoping to get a new camera soon. 

New Look 6022

New Look 6022

It's a little baggy at the back, but I suppose that is the style of the dress.

New Look 6022

The belt is a good addition, and improves the look from behind!

New Look 6022

It also looks nice belted from the front I think too. 

New Look 6022

New Look 6022

New Look 6022

I'm much more pleased with this version of the dress as this one isn't too tight for me. I just need some warmer weather to wear this in as it's a perfect little summer dress. I'd recommend this pattern to anyone beginning sewing as it's really easy to follow. 

New Look 6022

Catherine x


Post a Comment

I'd really love to hear from you. If you liked this blog post, please leave me a little comment!

Popular posts from this blog

New Look 6483.... in less than a week

My last post was a round up of my favourite simple sewing patterns in my stash. I've finished my first make, New Look 6483! And it look me less than a week! I spent a bit of time adjusting the pattern last weekend, and then it probably took two evenings of sewing plus a little bit of of  extra time hand sewing. Not bad for me!

The pattern came free with Sew Magazine this month. It comes with 5 different options. I chose view E with the wider neckline as I felt this was the most flattering.  The suggested fabrics are ginghams, laundered cottons (which is just cotton that has been washed to remove the stiffness caused by the sizing), silks, silk types, rayons etc. So fabric with a bit of drape is required.

The top does not have a zip and is fasten with a simple thread loop and button.  There is an all in one facing for the neck and armholes. The pattern is rated "easy" and claims to take one hour to sew! (not including cutting out time etc).

However, my major rookie mistak…

The Washi Dress

What a lovely sunny day and as promised, here is my latest make, the Washi dress by Made by Rae.

I coerced my daughter into taking the photos. As you can see,my cat was keen to get into the photos.

I made this using some cotton that I bought at the Knitting and Stitching Show at Olympia, that I posted about here. The fabric came from Simply Fabrics and was very reasonably priced, about £5 a metre if I remember rightly.

The Washi dress is a simple make, and perfect for beginner dressmakers.

I fell in love with it after seeing it on pinterest. It features a cut-out scoop neckline, although I decided to omit this as I felt it might be a bit low cut for everyday life.  It features a pleated front and a shirred back. It also has built in pockets.  It can be made with or without sleeves and also can be adapted as a tunic or maxi dress. It's a fairly expensive pattern to download at $16 dollars (roughly £10) but I figured this would be a dress that I could make again and again.

 There is…

The Ultimate Shift Dress

So the first of my Autumn-Winter Stitching plans is now complete!

This is the Ultimate Shift Dress by independent sewing pattern company Sew Over It.  The fabric was something I picked up at the Knitting and Stitching Show.

This is a very easy dress to complete. In fact I think it is the fastest thing I have ever sewn. I traced the pattern pieces one evening and then cut and sewed most of the dress the next evening.

This is a good pattern for a relative beginner like me and the instructions are quite clear. I think it's not suitable for a total beginner as it assumes a bit of knowledge such as how to sew bust darts and the sleeves are eased in which is quite tricky.However, the pattern booklet includes a glossary which is helpful as it explains some of the terms that other patterns assume you know and understand.
The pattern comes in size 8-20.  Looking at my measurements, I was between the 12 and the 14 sizes. This pattern is designed for a very close fit and includes less ease t…