Friday, 16 January 2015

My First Vintage Pattern - Simplicity 6655


Having pledged to join in with the vintage sewing pattern pledge this year, I've decided on my first make of 2015!

The pattern I will be making is a Simplicity pattern from 1966. It's a How to Sew" pattern and having perused the instructions at length, it seems no more complicated than anything else I've sewn. In fact I'd say the instructions seem clearer than some modern Simplicity patterns I've tackled!

The dress is in two main pieces with a U-shaped neck, back zipper and Version 1 has belt loops and Version 2 has flaps.  It has armhole and neck facings and comes in two lengths. Version 3 has buttons and a lace neck trimming.


The jumper/ dress comes in three views and I have decided on view 2 with the flaps.  There is also a pattern for a kimono sleeve blouse that I may be tempted to make at a later date.


I wanted something that I could make in needlecord and I will be using some navy blue from my stash. I thought this sleeveless dress would be perfect for this time of year over a long sleeved top.

I traced my pattern pieces as I didn't want to spoil the pattern as the pieces were in pristine condition. It's hard to imagine that the pattern is nearly fifty years old! I've cut the material out tonight and I'm hoping to get on with sewing it this weekend.

I intend to follow the instructions as closely as possible so that means forgoing an invisible zip but I'm pretty sure I will use my overlocker for finishing some of the seams.

Can't wait to get stitching on this one!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd really love to hear from you. If you liked this blog post, please leave me a little comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...